“Next time you think about a vehicle, I hope, like us, you’re thinking about something new.”
|Pre-intermediate||Comparatives & Superlatives||Technology|
|Vocab||Skateboarding & Transport|
|Energy & Environment|
Imagine an electric vehicle that can get you to work — or anywhere in a six-mile radius — quickly, without traffic frustrations or gasoline. Now imagine you can pick it up and carry it with you. Yes, this skateboard could change the face of morning commutes.
- Do you think that skateboarding is a good form of transport? Why/why not?
- Can you think of any other types of lightweight, easy to use methods?
- Do you think it is important to create new types of transport? Why/why not?
- The electric skateboard can run for 1000 kilometres.
- The parts for the skateboard were bought at a toy store.
- The skateboard is too heavy to hold and carry around with you.
- It is really expensive to build.
- The skateboard cannot easily go up a hill.
|1. Perspective||A. To describe something that can be used without consuming a lot of energy or damaging the environment.|
|2. Novel concept||B. To describe something that can change direction easily|
|3. Range||C. To describe something that can easily be moved.|
|4. Has gotten||D. The total effect something has on the environment/energy use.|
|5. Performance||E. A point of view, opinion|
|6. Portable||F. The distance (Kms) that something can travel|
|7. Maneuverable||G. A new idea|
|8. Sustainable||H. The ability of a machine to do something|
|9. Footprint (energy)||I. Has become|
- Comparatives and Superlatives
|Efficient||More efficient||The most efficient|
Focus on the use of “than” with comparatives. Make sure to give examples. Brainstorm a set of adjectives used for transport and build a comparative/superlative chart on the board with students.
- Students to complete comparative/superlatives sentences by changing the adjectives into their correct form and filling the gaps.
- Bicycles are ____________ than skateboards.
- Planes are much ___________ efficient than ships
- I think that traveling by bus is more _________ than traveling by ship.
- Skateboarding is easier to learn _________ rollerblading.
- Trains are __________ than planes.
- Cars are ___________ than busses, because they are faster, smaller and more comfortable.
- Brainstorm as many examples of superlative sentences on the board with both superlative adjectives and the use of most.
- Would you like to skateboard everywhere? Why/Why not?
- Do you think it is too dangerous?
- Is skateboarding practical as a form of transport?
- How much do you think a skateboard like this should cost?
- Is it better than an electric bicycle? Than an electric car?
- Skateboarding is a terrible form of transport. It is dangerous and can only be used for one person.
- Bikes are better! Why would you choose a skateboard when an electric bicycle is clearly a better idea!?